Foxborough Memorial Hall
The community was grateful to thouse who had served in the Civil War, as they were to their heros of the Revolution and veterans of the War of 1812.
In 1866, a committee was appointed to "take into consideration the duty of the town to erect a suitale monument to the memory of the soldiers who went froth from it, and fell in the service of their country."
Members of the committee were of the unanimous and emphatic opinion that some suitable monument shoul be erected by the town to the memory of its fallen soldiers.
The committee, made up of Erastus P. Carpenter, William Carpenter, Otis Cary, William H. Thomas and George Ryder took their charge far beyond the limits of a memorial to the fallen.
In their deliberations, they considered more than the fallen, being reminded "of others who fell not, but who returned from the war maimed and broken for life." They remembered, too, that what was endured by the fallen and maimed was bravely risked by every soldier who enlisted into his countroy's service. They also noted " that the beautiful exhibition of patriotic self-sacrifice so strikingly made when age and womanhood yielded their claims upon the young and the strong in obedience to the call of the country, and with warm heats and busy hands toiled for them and their fellows, following them with varied ministries of love until the conflict was over and peace returned." The cost of the building was $12,113.72! Today, Memorial Hall stands as a tribute to their appreciation to those who paid the price of war. The names of the fallen, as well as others who served will stand for all of time, engraved on tablets inside the building. It is now a local museum maintained by the Foxborough Historical Commission.
The building with its "churchlike" stained glass windows with granite octagon projections, remained the town Libary until 1965. The ceiling stained glass is of the building shape. It lit from above to display the light green facing the inside of the arched ceiling. The cost of all of the Memorial windows paid for by subscription was $200.00 in 1870. The center of the eight sided stained glass, ceiling light is a traditional G.A.R Symbol like those built for many GAR posts in Union States after Civil War. It has red and white stripes, with white stars on blue background. It is similar in style to the many medals of the GAR which adorned the uniforms of its veteran members. The window is approximately 4 feet wide, laden with dark trim. The daytime sunlight sends streams of reflective light into the memorial room with the sentury soldier atop the exterior roof above.
The focal point as one enters the front door is stained glass window statue "Liberty" a remarkably beautiful stained glass window above the tablet of those twenty-three men who died during the Civil War from Foxborough. The contrasting red, blue, white and green stained glass with an exterior window behind shows Ms. Liberty holding a sword over the traditional stars and bars symbology GAR symbol.
Opposite the focal point and above the main entrance door is a small arched, triangle stained glass window with "1776" with sunlight illuminating the entrance alcoves. Similiar window designs are in 2 opposing positions likely for the wars of 1860 and 1812. The alcoves are three trimed in rich dark wood with pointed tops shaped like the windows.
The four other windows are surprising simplier with limited GAR symboloy. Each have the same decorative design with red, blue, green and bronze accents. The clear stained glass is consistant in allowing light to illuminate the hall for all purposes. All windows are beautifully trimed in rich, dark wood.
You are visitor