This information was adapted for this site from Glimpses of Early Foxboro written and edited by Jack Authelet. Used by permission.
The first Foxborough newspaper was the Salmagundi Journal in 1849. The editor was an Edson Carpenter who, except for an editorial and occasional poetry, extolled his goods as a merchant as well. Only two copies of the Salmagundi Journal exist as noted by Robert W Carpenter in his 1890 History of Foxborough.
The Bonnet Case started on January 12, 1853. It was published in the interest of the Ladies' fair. The group held activities in the new Union Straw Works to raise funds for the completion of Rock Hill Cemetery. Funds raised by the ladies were used to purchase the gates to the cemetery which were later removed. The gates were cast at the foundry on Mill Street. The ladies also purchased the hand-crafted Civil War motif lanterns that adorn the entrance to Memorial Hall.
The Country Times appeared weekly beginning April 12, 1856. It was published by Henry C Buffum in East Foxboro (over the Post Office). J A Adams later became publisher.
The Home Library was the most literary endeavor published in Foxborough for which 26 issues were published. A significant masthead with scenes of Foxborough featured a steam engine pulling several cars coming from the direction of Mansfield where straw was being gathered. Foolish Hill could be seen in the distance. The left side of the montage depicted the residence of E.P. Carpenter. The image to the right appears to be a library in someone's home. It was a tribute to engravers of 1857. The newspaper had some "local events" and several historic advertisers. The first editor was John Littlefield. It was published by William H Thomas, a popular name in many future publications.
William Thomas was also published again The Eagle and Flag. It was first published in January of 1863 and the final edition was in September of the same year. It was edited by Thomas E Grover and Edwin M Bacon. They were students attending the Classical School and their endeavor was secondary to the demands of an education. The young Bacon later served as managing Editor of the Boston Globe when it was launched on March 4, 1872. Bacon also worked at the Boston Daily Advertiser and the Boston Post. There was no advertising revenue. Through the devoted efforts of Clarence Fuller, a copy of each issue of the Eagle and Flag has been preserved for the archives of Memorial Hall.
A new commercial venture by E M Bacon and Edwin W Clark was the Norfolk County Journal. It started as a monthly and then changed to semi-monthly. Support from many local merchants was insufficient since it lasted only 6 months, with only 16 editions. Mr Fuller has also preserved a copy of each issue of this newspaper.
Ten years went without a newspaper until The Foxboro Journal appeared in 1873. It was published by James M Stewart of Franklin in conjunction with other newspapers. It was edited by R W Carpenter during the first year followed by Allen P Folsom for four years, then R W Carpenter assumed editorial responsibility. Considerable space was devoted to local news.
The Foxboro Times was commenced by Pratt and Clark in connection with the Mansfield News in 1873. Edwin M Clark was editor. The Foxboro Times in later years was edited by Robert W Carpenter, William C Macy, Fred H Williams, David L Lowe, George M Barron and Minnie Withee, the first female to edit a local paper.
In 1875 The Foxboro Gazette was "devoted exclusively to the local interests of the town." Published by J E Carpenter & Sons and edited by R. W Carpenter it ceased after 15 issues.
The Foxboro Courier appeared in May 1882 from the office of A J Nichols. It was edited by Edwin W Clarke and received as an excellent local paper. It was sold and merged in August of that same year with the Dedham Transcript.
The Foxboro Reporter started on September 13, 1884. A J Nichols was publisher and Edwin W Clarke editor. As stated by R W Carpenter in his 1890 History of Foxboro, " from the first it had the support of public, and has grown steadily in size influence, circulation and advertising patronage." In November of 1887 Joseph H Alden and George M Baron purchased the paper and continued as publisher under the editoral leadership of Mr. Baron. It flourished for many years under with leadership of Mr Alden as publisher, lasting longer than any newspaper ever before offered to the community. On May 1, 1920, the paper was sold to Edgar H Bristol (co-founder of the Foxboro Company). The sale also included the printing plant and business know as the Reporter Press. The plant was located at that time on School Street facing the common. The business continued to operate under the ownership of Mr Bristol until made a department of the Foxboro Company. The Foxboro Reporter lives on as a weekly newspaper of Foxborough news under the ownership of United Communications in Wisconsin.
Additional information is available at the Foxborough Historical Commission. A microfilm reader and most publications of the above newspapers are located at the Boyden Public Library in Foxborough. Several Foxboro Reporter indexes are available.mail to Webmaster
|You are visitor|