The Foxborough Town Hall was built in 1857. It was destroyed by fire on June 4, 1900. It was at the corner of South and Liberty Streets. Three Foxborough firemen George Josselyn, Joseph Watkins and Arthur Josselyn were killed and one fireman, Samuel Johnson, was injured.
The Town house was built by a committee on which E.P. Carpenter served. He was in charge of the committee which served the community, both as town offices and a school. He personally cleared the building of debt by paying the bills incurred beyoned the town appropriation of funds. Once the building was completed, E.P. Carpenter rented the first floor and started the Foxboro English and Classical High School. Rev. James Stone, a Unitarian clergyman from Providence was principal and E.P. Carpenter covered the budget deficits for the school.
Rev Stone left after four years and opened a Home for Boys in the Phoebe Fuller house on Main Street, opposite Granite Street.
An 1865 an addition faciliated the start of the first Foxborough High School.See the Foxboro Reporter Jan 29, 1981 and Feb 5 1981 for articles on "Scholary Pursuits at English and Classical." The Graduation of 1860 is described in a Foxboro Reporter article of June 23, 1923. Foxboro High School graduations from 1877 thru 1884 are also available. Use the index of old Foxboro Reporter articles. For more information contact the Foxborough Historical Commission.
Return to Home foxboroughhistory.org